The ENPI Horizon 2020 Capacity Building/Mediterranean Environment Programme (H2020 CB/MEP) has supported between 2009-2014 the implementation of the Horizon 2020 Initiative Road Map and Work Plan through capacity building and awareness raising activities, and has promoted integration/mainstreaming of environment issues into other sector policies. It was also responsible for the proper coordination of the H2020 Steering Group and the three Sub-Groups and the overall enhanced visibility of Horizon 2020.
The European Commission (EC) is currently funding a new phase: SWIM-H2020 SM
About the project
||ENPI Horizon 2020 Capacity Building/Mediterranean Environment Programme (H2020 CB/MEP)|
|Countries:||Albania, Algeria, Bosnia Herzegovina, Croatia, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey|
|Project Starting Date:||November 2009|
|Project Duration:||36 months|
To support the implementation of H2020 with a special focus on environmental mainstreaming, by addressing the following problems:
- low political priority given to the environment ;
- insufficient integration of environment in the different sector policies (agriculture, tourism, transport or energy, water, industry, development etc) and lack of inclusion of the different actors from local to international level ;
- Insufficient capacities and resources at institutional and civil society level.
To support the implementation of the Horizon 2020 Initiative Road Map and Work Plan through capacity building and awareness raising activities, and to promote integration of environment issues in other sector policies.
- The H2020 Steering Committee and Sub-Groups are working in synergy and the objectives set in the timetable agreed in 2006 in Cairo and in the Work Plan defined and regularly updated by the Capacity Building Sub-Group are achieved;
- Progress is made in promoting integration of environmental protection into national policies and legislation covering environment sensitive sectors (e.g. Agriculture, Tourism, Energy, or Transport) and/or in the enforcement of the corresponding provisions;
- The knowledge and effective use of tools such as Strategic Environment Assessments and Environment Impact Assessments are promoted and developed in relevant institutions and organisations in the region;
- Capacities and resources dedicated to the H2020 priority areas (urban wastewater, municipal solid waste and industrial emissions) are strengthened at policy, legislative/institutional level as well as at regional/national level;
- Local Networks/organisations based in the Partner Countries are effectively mobilised in the framework of the project;
- Civil society (private sector, professional organisations, citizens, Academics, NGOs...) is better sensitised and mobilised with an increase in its capacity to actively contribute to environmental protection.
- A Hot Spot inventory in place for the West Balkans and Turkey as complementary to the MeHSIP is elaborated and available.
WP1: Organisation of the Horizon 2020 Steering Groups and Sub-groups
WP2: Assistance for the preparation of Euro-Med Ministerial Conferences
WP3: Comprehensive programme of capacity building activities
WP4: Elaboration of a Hot Spot Investment Programme for the West Balkans and Turkey as complementary to the MeHSIP (added with the IPA addendum to the initial contract)
WP5: Communication and Dissemination activities
Organisations represented in Horizon 2020 Steering Group and Sub-Groups
- Ministries of environment, but also other relevant ministries/agencies such as ministries of water, agriculture, transport, energy, industry, tourism, etc;
- Organisations/bodies working in the H2020 priority fields;
- Representatives of local authorities (regional, municipal level) and networks of local authorities;
- Civil society representatives (private sector, universities, NGOs, media, general public 'indirectly reached');
- International and European organisations such as UNEP/MAP, the World Bank, the EEA, and the EIB.